Horus Security Carbon Reduction Plan
Horus Security Consultancy Limited is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2050.
Baseline Emissions Footprint
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions. Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
Baseline Year: 2022
In 2022, Horus embarked on the evaluation of our emissions and their influence on climate change. This endeavour is still in its initial phases, requiring us to gather data from different aspects of our business operations. With this foundational information, we aim to compute, manage, and diminish our emissions, striving to reach our 2050 target, which aligns with the government’s goal of achieving carbon neutrality.
We have compiled the current data by utilizing our in-house resources and seeking assistance from third-party sources.
Current Emissions Reporting
Emissions reduction targets
Following the lifting of lockdown restrictions, Horus became aware of the potential for an uptick in emissions. Consequently, we have taken proactive measures to curtail these emissions.
Additionally, Horus has:
- Enforced an internal policy mandating that all employees undergo training in emission control.
- Encouraged staff, suppliers, customers, and local communities to actively back initiatives focused on environmental protection and enhancement.
- Explored investment opportunities in technologies capable of reducing carbon emissions.
- Dedicated resources to the monitoring and reporting of carbon emissions.
- Championed environmental sustainability and aligned ourselves with the UK Government’s 25-year environment plan, which aims to bolster environmental quality.
Carbon Reduction Projects
We have planned and implemented several environmental management measures since 2022, with the carbon emission reduction achieved by these initiatives to be calculated in due course.
These projects include:
1. IT Infrastructure: We are in the process of decommissioning the remaining office-based server, transitioning all Horus data to cloud-based storage within three secure data centers. Each data center has its own Carbon Reduction Plan and is committed to achieving carbon neutrality, with MS Azure and Equinix targeting this by 2030 and Amazon by 2040.
2. International Travel: As our offices in Singapore and the US become more established, the need for international travel is expected to decrease significantly. This reduction in international travel will have a substantial impact on reducing Horus’ Scope 3 emissions.
3. Consolidation of Office Space: Following the Covid-19 pandemic, Horus decided to relinquish its lease on a City of London office and consolidate its staff into a single office located in Oxford. This decision was made because the majority of Horus staff now reside in Oxford or Oxfordshire. This immediate consolidation led to a reduction in Scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions.
4. Hybrid Working: In addition to the office space consolidation, Horus has introduced a Hybrid working model for all staff who commute to the Oxford office. A majority of the staff in the Oxford office either walk, cycle, or use public transport for their daily commute, contributing significantly to carbon emissions reduction. Furthermore, staff residing in London now work permanently from home, further decreasing emissions associated with commuting.
Completed Carbon Reduction Initiatives
Since the baseline year was 2022, we have only implemented a few Carbon Reduction Initiatives. However, as we progress with our Carbon Reduction Plan and identify viable initiatives, we will incorporate them into future reports.
Specifically, we have undertaken the following initiatives:
1. Office Lighting: We have upgraded the office lighting system to PIR-activated LED lighting to ensure that electricity is not used unnecessarily when the office is unoccupied.
2. Office Paper: Horus has made a commitment to reduce paper consumption in the office and now exclusively uses recycled paper in its printers.
3. Recycling of Waste: Within the office, we have introduced a multi-bin system to segregate recyclable waste from food and non-recyclable waste. Furthermore, any end-of-life electronic appliances are disposed of in accordance with WEEE regulations to ensure proper recycling.
Declaration and Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting .
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard.